Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure

Subject: Re: [OM] Reciprocity failure and Olympus auto exposure
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 22:15:16 -0500
At 03:02 AM 9/10/1998 -0700, John you wrote in part:

>Yes, as you [Shawn] said, the real problem is the owners. They won't or
can't learn
>the knowledge required to operate their cameras. This would apply no matter
>what camera they own, OM-4 or F5. Many point-and-shoot owners don't even
>understand the half dozen or so features on their cameras. Most of us on the
>list are computer literate, some more so than others. But we all took the
>time and effort to learn something about computers. If we were all to
>purchase N*k*n F5 or F90x cameras
>(whether we want to is another issue), we would probably spend the time to
>thoroughly learn their operation. This is not always the case with their non
>pro owners.
>
>I also like the simplicity of the OM system. Obviously this is one of the
>reasons why we all use it. But what's great about Olympus doesn't take away
>from the good features of some other brand. I'm just sometimes perturbed by
>the bashing that goes on. Just because this is the Olympus list doesn't mean
>we can't appreciate other products for their good points. And yes, they do
>have good points.

Thanks, John, for these sound words.

I occasionally feel wounded (OK, not really) by anti-Nikon comments, but in
this context I have realized that *my* Nikon system has very little in
common with chip-driven modern systems. Among Nikon users there are many,
many individuals who prefer manual systems.  They are very much like Oly
users and there is still an incredible cornucopia of lenses and bodies for
them to choose.

So in this context, this sometime Nikon user is really more sympathetic to
the manual camera crowd, whether shooting Oly or Nikon. Still, I don't see
how any reasonable person would not agree with you that because some people
don't bother to learn to use their gear, the gear is somehow the problem. I
don't blame Panasonic when I visit someone and their VCR is blinking "12:00."

Joel