Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:30:21 +0800
> >From a photographers point of view Imagek's solution is 100 times more
> interesting than the DL600. Inserted in an OM body and a fine set of
> Zuikos you're just as versatile as with film; you can have a range from
> super wide angle to super tele, you have control over aperture and
> shutter speed. The only thing you miss is the ability to use different
> "film" speeds (the EFS-1 will be 100 ASA, maybe later Imagek will make
> a 400 ASA version).

I honest tell you, I don't believe the Imagek story since the first time I
saw it few months ago.

> The DL600 on the other hand is just a very expensive digital point and
> shoot zoom camera with a limited focal range and little control of
> photographic parameters; it's just a digital version of the IS-100 or
> Centurion.

The DL600 is for sure not for serious photography.

> Besides the DL600 (which uses CCD technology) has an immense energy
> consuming problem (that's why the EFS-1 uses CMOS technology).

CCD is required as the CMOS technology at this moment cannot provide the
same quality.

> A while
> ago there was an article in the Dutch magazine Focus, telling the story
> of a reporter covering a desert rally. He used a DL600 that he had to
> modify to accept a portable accu (like large hammer flashes use)
> otherwise the thing would be useless to him. He complemented the
> machine though, for its ruggedness in desert conditions. The Nikon F5's
> and EOS1n's of his collegues died one by one due to very fine desert
> sand entering the bodies, the DL600 stayed alive... Lack of mechanical
> parts, and body openings, of course. He used a digital camera because
> he needed a digital format anyway, to transfer the photo's to his
> newspaper using a modem and mobile satelite telephone connection.
> An OM version of the DL600 would not only have the same problems, it
> would also mean you no longer have wide angles due to the smaller
> surface of the CCD sensor.

Focal length problem can be solved by using larger CCD like the Kodak
DCS460 or use a reduction lens put in between.

>The EFS-1 uses the full 36x24mm frame.

Let's see when will the EFS-1 be available, but if the quality is like the
picture shown on their wed site, please forget it.

C.H.Ling