Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital OM-5?
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 08:33:56 -0500
>Just curious Ken, what you mean by "We have to jump on the train at some
>point." Are you referring to yourself and fellow professional photographers
>in order to stay competitive? Or do you feel us amateurs will also find it
>necessary to join the digital revolution, and if so, why?

Yes, I was referring to myself in the role of a professional photographer.
I can see no need for an amateur to acquire this device.  If an amateur
wants digital, there are many products currently available in affordable
price ranges.  You don't even have to look further than Olympus' own
offerings.

However....  Let me clarify something:  My desire for getting an IMAGEK (or
comparable product), is in proofing, practice, and quick turnaround low-res
imaging.  I cannot use a different camera for proofing, as I need the
equivelent to a poloroid back for the camera.  I cannot use a different
camera for practice (timing in sports photography), as that would totally
defeat the purpose anyway.  As far as the quick turnaround low-res imaging?
Sure, any camera would do, but why should I make a parallel system
investment?  If I'm going to do that, I might as well sell my entire Olympus
system and get a Nikon F5 with digital back!

I asked Olympus to develop a digital back for the OM system.  It will take
many more voices than my own to push them into doing it.  Would I buy a
digital back?  Absolutely!  Could they build one?  Absolutely!  Will they
build one?  I'm not holding my breath.  Meanwhile a company is developing a
solution that, although not perfect, does meet my current needs.  I just
wish other companies were doing the same.

Ken N.