Re: [OM] Lens Test 85-250 f5 Zoon vs 85 f2

Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Test 85-250 f5 Zoon vs 85 f2
From: ONLYOLYBW@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 13:31:03 EDT
Hi Clyde,
Thanks for your comments.  One of the main reasons I took the time to write
the post is.  I feel, for us serious hobbyist with our limited methods for
making evaluations of one lens vs another is rather difficult at best.  Also,
if we get several opinions, we will get as many conclusions.
I do have a few questions for you and others.

csoles@xxxxxxx writes:
<< >Evaluation Methods:
 >1. Light Table with Peak 4X & 10X loupes
 Clyde wrote;
 You need at least 15x to really check sharpness.

Snip!
Are you saying that to see a difference in sharpness between 2 lenses, it
would only show up on prints enlarged to 15 X 22 1/2 inches?
In looking through loupe manufactures list, Peak & Schneider only list one
loupe as high as 15X.  Most stop at 8X.  Are we talking microscopes here?

 >2. Scanned Nikon Coolsan II at 6.33 x 9.5 inches, 204.63 pixels / inch; file
 >size = 7.21 MB.
 >3) Printed with Epson Photo on Epson glossy photo paper.
 Clyde wrote
 Too many variables to be of value IMHO.

Snip!
Yep!  Your are right.  I have used this method in the past and seen some
difference is slides from the same lens.  But, there has to be a true
difference in i.e. focus, exposure, to really see it.

 >4) Projected on quality screen aprox 2 ft. x 3 ft.
 Clyde wrote;
 The projector lens quality makes a big difference too, standard Kodak's are
 pretty poor.

Snip!
Agree again, I only used this method because several list members in the past
have suggested this for evaluating.  You are limited to the lens on the
projector as well as the screen.

 Clyde wrote;
 Of course if you are happy with the results of the zoom, it doesn't matter.

Snip!
How would we "Know" we are happy with a lens results if we have no way to
"effectively" compare it to another lens.
If one is striving to improve his technique, he/she will be limited by the
equipment at some point.

Clyce wrote;
 Critical sharpness and the other subtelties of quality glass (not
 necessarily primes) are only really important for competing against pros to
 make a living...or for the anal-retentive ;-) >>

Snip!
Well, I do not compete with Pros.  But, I do view their work as a bench mark
to which I strive to meet.  If the quality of the lens / equipment limits me
and does not allow me to reach this level, I will not be satisfied with it.

So, What is the accepted, proper technique to compare one lens to another?

Thanks,
Buddy Walters