Re: [OM] Northern lights

Subject: Re: [OM] Northern lights
From: Chris Barker <cbarker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 11:02:36 +0100
>I stepped out of the house Tuesday night, and was treated to one of the
>most spectacular displays of the Northern Lights I have ever seen up
>here. (Northern Vermont)
>

>As an aside, I was also trying to figure out how "fast" these ripples of
>light were moving. . . .I am no physicist, but a quick amateur
>guestimate makes me think it might be pretty darn fast.
>
>Morgan Sparks

Morgan, I cannot answer your question about speed, but the apparent rate of
movement is high.  I first saw the Northern Lights when flying night low
level from CFB Goose Bay and it looked like curtains above us (2-seat
Tornado) waving around like multi-coloured fabric.  It was a good thing
that the aircraft was on autopilot because it was very distracting.

When we landed some 30 minutes later, we discovered that our colleagues had
been standing on the roof of the Hanger at Goose Bay watching the
phenomenon at the same time; it had come and gone in 30 minutes it seemed.

I would love to take a photograph - well I'd love to return to Canada with
that as my excuse!

Chris