Re: [OM] Northern lights

Subject: Re: [OM] Northern lights
From: Morgan Sparks <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:08:37 -0400
Chris Barker wrote:

> Morgan, I cannot answer your question about speed, but the apparent rate of
> movement is high.

How fast do the particles travel from the sun?  I suppose the
"flickering" of the northern lights does not reflect their actual speed,
but the effect created as waves of particles intersect with elements in
the atmosphere.....much like the points of intersection in merging
circles.  Still, depending on one's viewing location and direction of
the bombardment, aren't there situations where you can see nearly the
actual speed of particle travel?

My interest in speed was sparked by the thought that there may be no
other phenomenon where such rapid travel of anything is displayed to
humans.

As Foxy and Garth pointed out, it might be difficult to expose and still
retain "structure", although the display on Tuesday seemed to repeat
itself along the same channels in the sky.

I'm going to try Michael Covington's suggestion with the 2S and 50 1.8

Morgan Sparks