Re: [OM] Mirror lenses: CATs and dogs

Subject: Re: [OM] Mirror lenses: CATs and dogs
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 18:46:30 -0400
Gary said:

>>I will scan a couple of my own photos made with my Solid Kittens,
and will send them over to Denton.  If he chooses to do so, Denton
will post them on the same web page with his own photos, so other
OLY list members can get both our points of view.

I'll be happy to. Of course, it may just show you're the better
photographer <g>.

While I see Denton's point wrt the second photo, I must wonder whether
the relatively low lighting conditions, vibrations caused by the heavy
duty Manhattan traffic, etc. weren't as much a contributing factor to
this picture's relative fuzziness as was the lens itself.  Besides,
the depicted scene has a considerable depth, and it is hard to tell
what was the lens focussed on.  In fact, I wonder whether ANY long
telephoto lens would produce considerably better results, save for a
conventional 600/f4 closed down to f22 or f32.

Traffic vibrations shouldn't have been a fact, as this was taken from the
roof, not the street. Besides, the cars were all stopped <g>.I always do
worry about the tripod, tho. It's a medium Gitzo with Arca Swiss ball head.
It was slow film ASA 100, and I believe exposure was probably 1/30th of a
second. Still, what bugs me the most about all the shots I've taken with
the lens are the lack of contrast.

Regards,

Denton Taylor
Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com