Re: [OM] Which camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which camera?
From: Ingemar Uvhagen <ingemar.uvhagen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 21:12:42 +0200
Shawn Wright wrote:

> I can understand your wanting to buy new, but I question whether
> any plastic bodied, auto everything camera could be considered a
> "20 year camera" Like so many other electronic devices, most
> modern AF cameras are designed to last only until their features
> become obsolete, maybe a bit longer.

[snip]

> You may think you are avoiding the eventual discontinuance of the OM line,
> and the
> scarcity and gross inflation of OM gear that will follow, but consider C*n*n's
> past: just because you buy into the current EOS system, what's to stop them
> from
> introducing another new, vastly improved system in 5-10 years, making your
> 20year
> body obsolete well before it's time is due?
>
> Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but when I spend big $ on something,
> I like it to last, like my 20 year old stereo, which still outperforms
> anything in its class, or my Oly stuff. Even my entry level OM-10
> has performed very well in lots of rough conditions since new in
> 1985, and still looks near new, works fine (except a sticky shutter).
> When I pick up a featherweight C*n*n AF, I just don't get that long
> lasting feeling...

Good and interesting posting Shawn.

So, the conclusion I make after reading Shawn's posting and his "20 year
camera" term
I would think the OM-1(N) and the OM-2(N) are the only ones that might last that
long, and I think the OM-3(Ti) and the OM-4(Ti) would not. Not because they are
not
sturdy enough or something, but that they carry more electronics. As I see it a
"20
year camera" have to be very simple in its features, and it might then very
well be a
"30 year camera". I also think a camera without any electronic at all (without
build-in meter) will last longest of all.

Now, am I wrong about this or do you disagree that buying an OM-1(N) or an
OM-2(N) is
the only way to get a "20 year camera"?

--
Regards/