Re: [OM] Which camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which camera?
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 22:30:24
Hey Marc,

At 10:38 AM 8/26/1998 +1000, you wrote:

>Anyway, my question is, should I be happy with this camera, or be
>looking at new. The OM40 seems to be fairly good

If it's working and you have a little Zuiko glass, by all means:  be happy!

>Basically, while my skill levels don't justify a camera of such
>a standard now, I'd prefer to buy a camera now that I don't reach
>the limits of, and so have to buy another. This from buying stupid
>cameras in the past. That is, Im looking for
>a 20year ownership camera. My preference is for new rather than second
>hand.

It's two bad you won't settle for second hand, because they're not
manufacturing the OM-1 anymore.  I'm still trying to reach the limits of
that.  That's because the limits are really in your noggen, not in the
camera bag.

>Any opinions on the matter would be appreciated.
>
>>From lurking on this list for a while, it is obvious that everyone
>has far more experience/skill than myself. If I have offended anyone
>by offering such a 'newbie' question, please accept my apologies. I ask
>here as there are many places to go on the web where you can be told how
>wonderful the EOS (and Nikon) system is, but not as many for the
>Olympus.
>
>Cheers
>Marc (Sydney Australia)
>marclaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Take it from the world's oldest teenager and a perpetual newbie, you
needn't apologize. The OM-PC has a lot of the compactness and feel of
greater Olympus cameras. Learn to use it well and the skills are very much
transferable to the OM-1's through 4's. Keep it (when you get your OM-1!)
for risky situations in which you just have to take along a camera.
Whether it's by choice or just attrition, Olympus has allowed its most
serious cameras to remain in the world of manual focus. This is a
significant difference that, for better or worse, sets Olympus apart.  I
believe the emphasis of the other camera manufacturers on autofocus and the
hype thereof could have an affect on how people regard Olympus or the MF
Nikon and Canon cameras.  Doesn't bother me.  Olympus is for a fit audience
though few.  The good effect of this hype however is that it makes the
manual focus cameras and lenses a strong value on the used market right
now.  So why settle for just one camera? Get a couple different bodies.
The best argument for multiple camera bodies is ASA 50, 100, 400 etc.

How's that for some opinions?

Best wishes,
Joel