Re: [OM] Which camera?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which camera?
From: Gary Schloss <schloss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 12:01:13 -0800
Ed <EdMall@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>A basic question.  I have an OM PC and an OM1.  The PC works perfectly.
>OM1 needs a bit of repair.
>My question:  Should I trade/sell the OMPC and the OM1 and buy two
>OM2000 as a backup for my OM4T. Or should I get the OM1 repaired and
>trade the OMPC for an OM2000? [snip]

For better or worse, Olympus made the ownership of multiple bodies a
necessity, by spreading many of the useful/mandatory? features among
different camera models. (Btw, this is common to all camera makers,
which is why there is NO perfect camera -- yet!)

For instance, only the OM-1/1n has a mirror lock.  Only the OM-2000
has 1/125 sec. flash sync and multiple exposures capability (but no
MD or interchangeable screens).  Only the OM-PC has ESP, and is by
far the cheapest way to get TTL flash automation (but no interchange-
able screens, or manual backup speed).

IMHO, it's hard to offer Ed any meaningful advice w/o inquiring first
about the nature of his photography, and trying to assess his needs.
Still, I tend to agree with many of my fellow Zuiks that an OM-2S is
as close to a perfect complement/backup for an OM-4T as one can find.
Regrettably, many perceive the OM-2S to be unreliable, which greatly
depresses this camera's prices (which pleases me to no end, as I plan
to buy 1-2 more OM-2S's -- dirt cheap ;-) ).

An OM-4 as a backup for an OM-4T is an excellent idea -- for those
among us who already have a Benz as a backup for their Rolls. :-)
A good-looking, low-mileage OM-4 will cost at least $300-350, and
mint ones easily sell for $400-450.  Camera store prices are even
higher.

Gary Reese wrote:

>a parallel situation in the Canon A series/FD lens line is the Canon
>A-1.  It is only slightly move expensive than a AE-1 or AE-1 Program.

Hmm, this is not my impression.  I commonly see at camera shows EXC++
AE-1's sell for $125 (sometimes, with a std. 50/1.8 FD lens!)  The
AE-1P's typically fetch $165-185, whereas the Canon A-1's command a
$225-260 price tag.  Camera store prices are typically $50 higher.
IMHO, this is a very good price differentiation, considering the
features. One can only wish that the market pricing of the various
OLY bodies had as few anomalies.

Cheers,

/Gary Schloss.
Studio City, CA