Re: [OM] More eBay crazyness

Subject: Re: [OM] More eBay crazyness
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 16:21:13 EDT
Hi Gary S:

>  Recall that the MC 50/1.4 is quite scarce, and it supposedly performs
>  far better than its SC predecessor.  I suppose a non-boxed MC 50/1.4
>  might fetch about $90.  New ones are no longer available, and so a
>  collector may be willing to pay a small premium for box and docs.

The guy/gal who bought the LNIB specimen is the same one presently offering
some real high end Zuikos.  Apparently they have a few bucks to circulate.
He/she had to best a $101 bid, with the rest of them in the $60 range and
below.  Looks to me to be an abberation due to a bidding war - which are
thrown out as outliers when they are deviant from other sales information.

The same person who made the $101 bid didn't repeat the same mistake a few
days later when another LNIB 50 mm f/1.4 Zuiko sold for $79.10 (they bid
$78.10).

IMHO, the box is worth $14 and multicoating is worth $20.  The RESALE value of
a 50 mm f/1.4 Zuiko is quite well set, as follows:
condition | Resale Value | Asking Price
6  $31  ($50)
7-8  $43  (<=$89)
9  $55  ($49-89)
10-  $57  ($79-95)
10 w/o box  $65  ($119)
10 w/ box  $79

I've worked out this kind of analysis for many other OM System items, but this
is the only one I'll share online.  BTW, these are not pawn shop prices  :-)

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV