Re: [OM] A16 Flash

Subject: Re: [OM] A16 Flash
From: The Family <fotolady@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 16:18:24 -0400
At 07:31 PM 8/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I just purchased a A16 flash w/an INOP flash ready light (for dirt
>cheap) to go with my recently aquired XA (a very cool little camera). >
>Greg

Hi Greg.   TWO ITEMS BELOW

When we're using flashes for shooting animals at night or for security, the
ready lights are either black taped or pulled out of their holders to
remain 'invisible'.  If you pull the A16 apart, make sure that wasn't done
to yours :)

Some older flashes used small neon lamps to limit the voltage at the hot
shoe center pin.  My  A11  measures 190 VDC at the interface pins.  Based
on that, I'd say the ready lamp is also across the terminals.  If the lamp
is burnt out, and my assumption is correct about circuit placement, then
the voltage might be higher at those pins.  If you can, activate the A16 by
pushing in the center pin near the top of the flash (I used the voltmeter
probe tip) and measure the voltage at the terminals near the bottom.  The
lowest terminal in NEGATIVE.

If the voltage is less than 200 VDC there's probably not a problem.  Higher
than that might be a problem for the XA.  At least the OFF function
immediately reduces voltage to zero an therefore no shock problem.

The OFF position removes voltage at the 'flash switch' pins but does not
discharge the circuit/capacitor.  If you open the case, slowly bleed off
that voltage with a resistor (I use 1-10K) to prevent your fellow
housemates from retelling an embarassing story to eachother every holiday.

Lettuce Know,    Jim in Delaware