Re: [OM] More eBay crazyness

Subject: Re: [OM] More eBay crazyness
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:27:53 EDT
Hi Gary S. and others:

> I came up with two possible
>  factors/explanations:
>
>  (a) Since most gear is sold "as is", i.e. w/o MBG, many buyers
>      hesitate to buy complex items (read: bodies and/or lenses).
>      Indeed, what could possibly go wrong with a book, or a lens
>      cap, or a camera case?
>
>  (b) Many nettizens who bid high on trivia items must live in
>      rural areas, w/o access to a competitive or even competent
>      photogear market.  For them, the alternative is to drive
>      many miles, sometimes hours, to get what they want/need,
>      and so they add that cost to their bids.
>
>  Does that make any sense?

Well, once a person makes sense out of the marketplace, it's perhaps best to
not tell anyone and just buy, buy, buy.  But, it is clear to me that used
camera sales leave the buyer with an incomplete package, incl. full
information on how to use it.  Hence the sale at sky high prices of items that
"round it out."

Most of the discussion here is from the perspective of the consumer.  The
consumer operates on the assumption that the seller knows something about
their product.  Advice: Get smart and know more.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV