[OM] 35-70 or so zoom, SUV

Subject: [OM] 35-70 or so zoom, SUV
From: "Patrick W. Greenlee" <patrickg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:01:32 -0700
SUV is Sports Utility Vehicle, Strange Urban Vice, or Support Ure (your) Vendor

        I would be interested in hearing (again?) about the pros and cons
surrounding zooms in the 35-70 mm range, more or less.  Anyway, for those
times when you are willing to settle for less perfection than a bag full of
fixed fl glass, but would be able to respond more quickly to a variety of
situations, I thought I would like to give one of these a try.
        Do any of the available lenses support close focussing or macro
function?  If not, would any lend themselves to use with my VIVITAR X2
Tele-Macro converter? (still keeping the count down to two lenses.)  So far
the heaviest my pack has been on a photo expedition is 68 lbs partly due to
not taking any zoom lenses. I may involve myself in some sort of fanatical
esoterica again but the gross weight of my load due to photographic
acoutrements but will be less. (Yes, for those of you who suffered throught
the previous tome regarding my Dodge diesel camera case, I do get out of it
and "go walkabout" although I don't sleep on the ground very much anymore.)
        Got my 5X7 prints back on the Glacier Nat Park trek.  Most typical
comment from friends and others who suffered to leaf through them was
"these look just like postcards".  Is this good or bad?  I could have
bought post cards a lot easier. <G> <G>

Patrick