Re: [OM] Install it Yourself Light Seals

Subject: Re: [OM] Install it Yourself Light Seals
From: Lars Haven <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 22:02:33 +0200
Paul Van Tuyl wrote:

> For what it's worth, we have sold 537 light seal kits this year. The cleaning
> of
> the old channel seals and the hinge side flat seal plus installing the new
> seals
> takes about 15 minutes the first time. The seals are pre-cut to fit. The hinge
> side light seal comes with an adhesive on the back for easy placement.
>
> Most people use a toothpick to get the old debris out of the channels. Be
> sure to
> clean out any stray pieces of old seal left laying around in the camera.
> Thoses
> pieces will surely show up sometime on your developed film! DO NOT GLUE THE
> SEALS
> IN PLACE! One person permanently closed his camera after using KRAZY glue to
> keep
> the seals in place. They do not require any glue. Just close the camera back
> and
> leave overnight. they will not fall out once set in place. THESE SEALS COME
> STRAIGHT FROM OLYMPUS. Paul.

My experience is that 15 minutes is a bit optimistic for the first
(or any) time. Getting all that sticky stuff out the grooves can be
time consuming, especially if the camera is really far gone. Otherwise
there are no problems. The seals work very well.

One tip: Cover the shutter with a piece of paper kept in place with
some good quality tape. This way debris can not get into the shutter
and you can work much more relaxed. The tape must of course not leave
any residue when removed.

Regards
Lars
--
Lars Haven  <mailto:lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> aka <lhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"When writing about women, one must dip one's pen in a rainbow"