Re: [OM] All f2s (was top ten)

Subject: Re: [OM] All f2s (was top ten)
From: dhurley@xxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 23:47:57 -0500
On Mon, 27 Jul 1998 20:03:26 -0400 "John Petrush" <jfp@xxxxxxx> writes:
>First, I either hand-hold or use a monopod for racing photos.  Tried a
>tripod once and it just got in the way.

Most of mine are hand held, never have gotten comfortable with a monopod,
you are right about the tripod at the track, good only for tripping over.

>I find I use 1/500 and 1/1000
>fairly frequently.  I prefer using ISO 100 films; I shoot color
>negative
>about 990f the time.  On a bright, sunny day I have a lot more glass
>than
>I really "need".  I can shoot at f/8 to f/16 at 1/250 or 1/500 no
>problem,
>just as you describe.  But let's let it get cloudy.

That's when I take off the polarizer and /or open up to 5.6 to get a
little more light.

> How about a good
>rain?

Then the preferred glass to use wide open is a beer mug in the tent!  ;-)

>Now, even wide open one is fortunate to get 1/250.  If you are working
>slow corner and have a good side view position, you can get away with
>1/125,
>possible 1/60th panning with 300mm.  A head-on shot, no way.  You need
>shutter speed to freeze the moment.

When panning I am usually using the slower speeds, 1/15th  to 1/60th, to
totally blur the background, show motion in the wheels,  yet have the car
and driver sharp.

>Pit stop action commands the
>same,
>unless you are specifically trying for different effects with very
>slow
>shutter speeds.

>I guess what that overweight, luggable f/2.8 telephoto gets you is
>increased
>range and a much brighter viewfinder image.  But perhaps its just that
>motor
>racing is pure passion to me, and that is reason enough.

Amen, I even went once without my OM's!

> And with the
>1.4X-A, its just too much fun :-).
>
>John P

So, if you ever head to Heartland Park, holler, and I'll show you where
the slow corners are!

Daryl Hurley