Re: [OM] All f2s (was top ten)

Subject: Re: [OM] All f2s (was top ten)
From: "John Petrush" <jfp@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 20:03:26 -0400
First, I either hand-hold or use a monopod for racing photos.  Tried a
tripod once and it just got in the way.  I find I use 1/500 and 1/1000
fairly frequently.  I prefer using ISO 100 films; I shoot color negative
about 990f the time.  On a bright, sunny day I have a lot more glass than
I really "need".  I can shoot at f/8 to f/16 at 1/250 or 1/500 no problem,
just as you describe.  But let's let it get cloudy.  How about a good rain?
Now, even wide open one is fortunate to get 1/250.  If you are working a
slow corner and have a good side view position, you can get away with 1/125,
possible 1/60th panning with 300mm.  A head-on shot, no way.  You need
shutter speed to freeze the moment.  Pit stop action commands the same,
unless you are specifically trying for different effects with very slow
shutter speeds.

I guess what that overweight, luggable f/2.8 telephoto gets you is increased
range and a much brighter viewfinder image.  But perhaps its just that motor
racing is pure passion to me, and that is reason enough.  And with the
1.4X-A, its just too much fun :-).

John P