Re:[OM] Freezer Film!

Subject: Re:[OM] Freezer Film!
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 21:48:02 -0400
While the correct procedure is to let the canister warm up to  room
temperature for an hour or so before taking the film out, I have to admit
that I have loaded the camera with a roll of film still somewhat cold a few
times.  In my case I don't freeze the film, so the temperature difference is
between the refrigerator temperature and the ambient.

In order to hasten the process of warming, what I sometimes do in a hurry is
to warm the canister in my hand.  This is a trick adapted from the one my
thesis professor taught me to do when thawing a small test tube of protein
solution which had been frozen in a liquid nitrogen bath.   Now I don't
remember whether I used my bare hand to do this.  I think initially you need
a glove to handle the test tube at liquid nitrogen temperature, but after a
while when it is possible to pick up the test tube in your hand, but the
protein solution is still frozen, you grip it hard to warm it.  It has been
many years since I had to do this so the details escape me now.

I apply the same technique to warm the film canister.  When a roll of film
out of the canister is still cold, I warm the film in my hand before loading
the camera with it.  This is an emergency technique or a supplementary one
as I can always hasten the process of warming after leaving the canister at
room temperature for a while and if I cannot wait any longer I would warm it
up before I open the canister.  I have not experienced any problems with
moisture on my films.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx