RE:[OM] Freezer Film!

Subject: RE:[OM] Freezer Film!
From: Kerry Dressler <bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 1998 21:56:25 -0400
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Pauls0627@xxxxxxx wrote:

... snip...
 As more  air circulates, it brings more moisture with it (this is
conceptually similar
to the refrigerated film thread we've been reading - leaving the canister
closed prevents additional air and moisture from making its way to the
surfaces).
A lens hood should help a little if you're photographing at dawn. Use the
longest hood you can without vignetting(sp?) the image.
snip....
 Another trick used is to warm the dew cap very slightly - this will
prevent condensation, but if the lens gets too warm it can cause aberrations.

Thank you very much for this explanation of a problem that has haunted me
for a long time, also.. This type of information and answers to questions
re-enforces my respect for this List.. I'm learning more every day.

Here in Florida we have airconditioned homes, cars, etc.. When I'm working
on aquatic plants here and traveling all over the state in the air
conditioned car.. I have the problem of stopping to use my camera and
having to wait until all the lenses warm up..  It helps if I close my
insulated carry bag outside, before re-entering my car.. and leave the bag
behind my driver's seat, or even in the back of my station wagon.. it will
cool down less rapidly, and I don't open the bag again until I'm outside in
the heat.  But, it remains a problem.. and sometimes I just prefer to do
away with the cooling inside the car altogether..

Kerry

        Kerry Dressler                        Email:  bio-photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Bio-Photo Services, Inc.                http://www.bio-photo.com
        21305 NW 86th Ave                       TEL:   (352)466-4215
        Micanopy, FL 32667             FAX:  (352)466-3151