Re: [OM] Freezer Film!

Subject: Re: [OM] Freezer Film!
From: Kennedy <rkm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 01:16:47 +0100
In article , Paul Van Tuyl <olympusguy@xxxxxxxx> wrote
>Recently Lee Hawkins told me I was totally wrong in advising people to
>remove their frozen film from the cannister to warm up and dry out
>before using. His educated comment was to leave it in the can to warm
>up. I had never heard of anyone doing this because it keeps the moisture
>in the can with the film! An obvious dumb thing to do. However, knowing
>Lee is somewhat informed, I telephoned a number of professional
>photographers that use frozen, outdated film in their work. We sell to a
>bunch of wedding photographers and serious amateurs who buy 50 to 100
>rolls from us at a time.
>
>It was unanimous, no one leaves the film in the cannister to warm up.
>Most take the film out of the cannister and throw it into their
>equipment bag right away to be ready to shoot as the situation dictates.
>Most everyone's comment was, does someone actually leave it in the can?
>Next time look inside the cannister and see the moisture that collectsd
>there.Too bad Lee. OLYMPUS Dude.

Perhaps you should have phone Kodak, Agfa or Fuji directly - they would
have told you that Lee's advice was absolutely correct!

I have a roll of Agfa Ortho 25 Pro in my fridge at the moment that has
the following printed on the tin:

"Store  refrigerated. Allow 24hrs to reach room temperature before
opening."

The advice you got confirms my opinion - if there is one sure place to
learn BAD practices its from a seasoned pro!  ;-)
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)