Re: FW: [OM] Manual vs Auto Mode?

Subject: Re: FW: [OM] Manual vs Auto Mode?
From: "Ken Norton" <image66@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 09:55:10 -0500
I wrote:
>> With OTF, why waste time doing it myself?

Gary responded:
>Because:
>1) a flash scene may be dominated by a distant background or a non-average
>reflectance subject,
>2) the film surface may not reflect at 18% (see my previous posting on
this,
>which no one seemed to be concerned about).

Very true.  In many cases I do dial in exposure compensation due to the
above factors.  If I'm doing any studio or portrait work though, I almost
always use a flash meter and figure my lighting ratios that way.

But for fast action or times where the subject-camera distance is quite
variable, OTF is great and usually more accurate than me.  I wouldn't dream
of doing macro work without OTF metering or flash control.  In fact, I don't
think I even know how!

Now if the printers could only produce prints with the proper exposure.  How
many times have I told them to print to a "properly exposed" shot, not what
the equipment "thinks" is normal...   (or try and color correct a filtered
shot)

Ken N.