Re: FW: [OM] FW: Professionals using Olympus

Subject: Re: FW: [OM] FW: Professionals using Olympus
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 08:05:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 May 1998, KRIS GARREN wrote:

<snipped out some very kind words>

>  The lenses that I use are not Zuiko, they
> are very hard to find around here.  I've been using Kalimar and
> Tokina.  How do these off brands compare to a Zuiko?

  The Tokina are respectable, some quite good, but you are in for an
optical treat when you acquire some of that sweet Zuiko glass. Learn to
troll the Usenet, Ebay and the nice listing of stores that carry OM gear
a thoughtful soul here provided (what WAS that URL?). The slower lenses
aren't all that expensive, and frankly, happen to be some of my favorites
(like the 24/2.8).

> I also have a Canon Rebel but can't seem to get the same
> kind of great shots as I get with the Olympus, any thoughts?

  In your own hands, some pieces of hardware will simply perform better.
Learn what works for YOU. Go shooting with a friend (or join a camera
club) and exchange cameras for one roll during an outing. This is often a
revelatory experience for both people.

> Photography can get pretty expensive, you seem to have
> allot of experience with that issue!  Any other "tricks" about
> how to get the equipment/film/ect. at the best price possible?

  I buy most new things from NY, as well as my film. Check out my garage
sales info in the FAQ (URL, anyone?), and if there's a college/university
offering photo courses near you, take advantage of the possibilities
there.

> What has been your favorite 35mm so far (can I ask that on
> an Olympus mailing list<g>)?  Why did you get rid of the
> Canon's?

  My favorites are the ones that dance in my hands and take lenses that
mate with my vision. I love the OMs, Leica Ms, and confess to being
inordinately fond of Nikon Fs & F2s (with basic prisms only), and an
ancient Canon L-1. Funny thing, Mod or Pop Photo did a great little
article on the Ten most beautiful cameras of all time, and I realized ALL
my then-faves were on that list. The Canons failed to dance in my hands,
even though I love some of the lenses.
   But my favorites may not work for you, and were arrived at through
years of trial and terror. As Garry Winogrand (I think) said, the camera
is like a toothbrush. Translation: a highly personal tool.

>  I got some more lenses for it and have been
> going crazy ever since.  I never had an interest in photography before
> then.

  Stay crazy...it is a gift. I think it is the French that say that the
passion one's parents share when one is conceived is all one is allotted
in life, and it is what breathes life into imagery. Never forget that all
of this tech stuff is subservient to your vision, nothing more.

> The OM-10 was of course in mint condition when I found it, he had kept it
> stored> pretty good.

  Talk him into buying a couple of OM-3tis...maybe a 21/2.0...

                                   *= Doris Fang =*