Re: [OM] Beattie Intenscreen and Bogen Comments (and Zuikoholism)....

Subject: Re: [OM] Beattie Intenscreen and Bogen Comments (and Zuikoholism)....
From: "John A. Prosper" <prosper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:22:45 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 15 May 1998, PCA Cala wrote:

|Hi John:
|
|> Then suspect strongly that all else is NOT equal. :-)  For
|>  instance, the 35-80/2.8 uses a UD element and 5 refractive
|>  index lenses.   A fixed lens may employ less exotic material
|>  which compromises sharpness (and contrast) below that of a
|>  pro zoom even though it uses a lower element count.
|
|To be fair, one should look at a cost/performance ratio.  Olympus designers
|were given a rare go ahead to design a slightly wide angle to short telephoto
|zoom without optical compromise.  And the price shows what it took to
|accomplish that.  Now is it far to compare that to a used 50 mm f/1.8 that
|Paul vT used to sell for $19?  As a man of limited means, I've always
|considered primes to be my way of producing outstanding image quality at a
|price that still allows me to eat and have a shelter.

Well, sure, you're right.  I was merely addressing the
original question concerning the quality comparisons between
zooms and primes.  I am currently sans normal zoom myself
having sold my 35-70/3.6.  I compensate for its loss with my
35/2, 50/1.8, and 90/2 and zoom with my feet.

Pro zooms (particularly) and primes are designed with a
heavy emphasis on performance first and economics a distant
second.  Consumer grade materials have an inverted emphasis
of varying degrees.  The user decides how much sharpness
they need and can afford.