Re: [OM] Macro Reversing

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro Reversing
From: Bill Bishop <bbishop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 08:02:17 -0400
At 10:39 AM 5/15/98 +1000, you wrote:

>Has anyone done much work with using a reversing ring to produce a macro
>lens out of two zuikos.   A while ago I did some photos using sticky tape to
>join the lenses together.   Worked quite well however I ran into a couple of
>problems
>
>       Depending on the lense combination used I got a lot of vignetting
>
>       The depth of field obtained was too small.

A long time ago I tried this by taping my 50 F1.8 reversed on to my 100
F2.8 and also to my 75-150 F4 zoom. I got some great closeups (2x and 3x
for the zoom at 150mm). I also got some vignetting. I read somewhere that
you could put an extension tube between the camera and the primary lens to
eliminate this, but I never got around to trying it.

You will always have shallow DOF when working on the macro level. You also
have to be careful about stopping down too much, because diffraction begins
to be a problem as well.

My neighbors wondered what in the world I was doing when I tried this set
up out. They saw me on my front lawn in somewhat an awkward position with
my face almost to the ground. I got some great pictures of some extremely
small spiders. Since the DOF was so shallow I focused on their eyes.

Bill