Re: [OM] Tokyo

Subject: Re: [OM] Tokyo
From: "Tomoko Yamamoto" <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 May 1998 16:49:53 -0400

>Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 11:12:55 +0200
>From: Peter Leyssens <Peter.Leyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>Hi,
>
>I'll be going to Osaka and Tokyo in the beginning of June for a business
>trip.  I will have a few days free as my employer agreed to pay a
>weekend stay !  My planning will be as follows :
>Tuesday June 2nd : arrive in Osaka in the morning (heavily jet-lagged)
>Wednesday & Friday : occupied by business
>Thursday : free + travel from Osaka to Tokyo
>Saturday & Sunday : free !
>Monday morning : return to Belgium
>
>I give you this schedule because I don't know Japan and I don't know if
>shops are open during the weekends.  Will I have the opportunity of
>robbing some stores of all the OM material I can carry ?  Can somebody
>advise me on where I can find e.g. the 2-13 screen I'm planning to buy
>there ?

Good, Peter!

The stores are generally open on Saturdays and Sundays in Japan.  In
general, new camera stores are clustered in Shinjuku, while used camera
stores in Ginza.  However, the used camera stores in Ginza don't seem to
carry Olympus items judging from the store ads in Japanese photography
magazines.  Akihabara is known for discount electronics stores, and I don't
know about camera stores there.

During my recent visit in Tokyo, I went to Yodobashi to buy new Olympus
goodies.  The main store of Yodobashi Camera is located in Shinjuku.  As far
as new Oly items are concerned, the other Shinjuku stores don't have OM
equipment except perhaps the 2000, or not a great selection.  I stopped at
three other stores besides Yodobashi in Shinjuku, which have a number of
Olympus cameras and lenses in their used camera sections.

I recommend that you browse the following site for additional info,
particularly at the PhotoVendors section:
http://photojpn.org

Tomoko Yamamoto
mailto: tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/