Re: [OM] Perfect bag for OM equipment

Subject: Re: [OM] Perfect bag for OM equipment
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 May 98 16:21:08 EDT
Jan Decher <Jan.Decher@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I am trying to decide on the Perfect Camera Bag (not back pack) for my
Olympus equipment.  Here are my conditions:
1) Compact, in line with the compact OM philosophy
2) Inconspicuous
3) Waterproof - at least at he bottom if the bag is accidentally placed  on
a   wet street/grass
4) variable interior to accomodate several 2 bodies, 3-4 smaller lenses and
1 flash OR sth. the 4.5/300 Zuiko and a camera body with winder
5) dust proof around the lid for use on beach or in arid areas
6) option to carry on a hip belt

I have looked hard at Domke bags because they accomodate conditions 1),2,
4)) and 6) but are rather bad with 3), and 5).

Any suggestion?

I agonized for a while over a bag with similar considerations.  I selected a
LowePro Magnum and have been very pleased with it.  LowePro offers several
models larger or smaller than the Magnum, all based on essentially the same
design.

Compactness will depend on which model you choose.  Depending on the
assignment, the Magnum is sometimes too small, but I get by.  It is plain black
and the LowePro logo is small, but it *is* obviously a camera bag - a
knowledgable eye will spot it for sure.  It may not pass criteria 2.  The basic
material is water resistent, and it has a small "poncho" sewn into the back
pocket that pulls out and covers the whole bag providing an excellent level of
water protection from all sides.  The interior is fully configurable.  I
reconfigure the insides regularly depending on the equipment I choose to pack.
The top has an overhang all the way around to keep out dust and dirt.  The
standart bag has two loops sewn in that you can run your belt through to help
prevent the bag from swaying from the shoulder strap and bear a little of the
weight, but I wouldn't attempt to carry it solely as a hip bag, the Magnum is
just too large for that.  I find its shoulder strap wide and padded enough !
!
that there is no need.

I've used this bag for two weekend assignments and it has done everything I
need it to do.  It holds all the equipment I can stuff in and protects it well.
 It is the one item I do not take great extra steps to be gentle with and its
no worse for the treatment.  It is made of first rate materials and shows very
good workmanship.  It was a bit more expensive that I would have liked, but the
old adage remains true - you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps you in your quest.

John P