Re: [OM] rear curtain sync

Subject: Re: [OM] rear curtain sync
From: JNVS44B@xxxxxxxxxxx (MR THOMAS N CURLEE)
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 00:35:30, -0500
The construction of a flex circuit with surface mount components
wouldn't be a home project for most people but getting the actual
integrated circuits may well be impossible.  The circuits are
guaranteed to be custom and most likely out of production.  I wonder
if a gate array, or even a semi-custom circuit, could be made that
would allow replacement of the electronic circuit.  As a question for
John, what would be the total yearly need for replacement circuits
for the OM-2S or the OM-4?  If there was enough demand the circuit
could be made and I suspect that Olympus would help.  The problem is
that if there was a very large demand then Olympus would still be
providing the part.  If the demand is very low none of us could
afford one.

For an outside company to provide this circuit the key is for the
demand to be too low for Olympus to want to provide it but still high
enough so you and I could afford to buy it.  Also,  what is the labor
cost to replace the flex circuit?  If the cost is close to what a
used body is worth, why bother even if the circuit was $5.00.

On the plus side, a new circuit could be made with much less current
drain.

Something to think about.

Tom