Re: [OM] rear curtain sync

Subject: Re: [OM] rear curtain sync
From: "Thomas H. Hogan" <flzhgn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 22:12:43 -0700
Dear Paul et al:

I wonder how difficult it would be to reverse engineer an Olympus
circuit board and include a few upgrades...

I remember taking an electronics class about twenty years ago where
we photographed circuits from magazine publications and then printed
the negatives with a special enlarger which had a sun tan lamp for
a light source.  Instead of photographic paper a photographic emulsion
was used to coat a copper sided circuit board.  The board was then
"developed" in a solution of Iron Chloride (FeCl3?)

I'll bet there is enough talent on this group to produce replacement
circuit boards for OM cameras and even to improve them with rear
curtain sync capabilities...

Anyone?  Is it legal?

Paul D. Farrar wrote:

> Actually, all TTL flash OMs from the 2N on have rear curtain sync in auto--
> they release the second curtain as soon as the flash fires. But I don't
> think that's what's being looked for, since it's also 1st curtain sync at
> the same time.
>
> 2nd curtain sync can be implemented in the flash only (I believe Nikon has
> done it for some models) for camera bodies that hold the flash contacts
> closed throughout the time both curtains are opened. The flash "arms",
> rather than fires, when the contacts close, and then fires when they open at
> the start of the 2nd curtain release. The flash is so fast that it's over
> before the 2nd curtain can cover any detectable amount of film. This should
> work on the 2 and 2N, at least, since they use actual switches actuated by
> the shutter. It might not work on the digital board models (3, 4, 2S), since
> they probably use an SCR that may close only momentarily. Someone with a
> 'scope should be able to check.
>
> I have contemplated the building of an electronic switch that would do this,
> or adapting a Nikon flash. It could, of course, be added to the OM-3,4
> firmware for pretty much zero development cost. (It would require an
> additional external switch.) Olympus's failure to continue to add such
> obvious, cheap, and easy upgrades to their product is the sort of
> slothfulness that squanders goodwill, profits, and market share. Of course,
> maybe Olympus has a stock of 4T and 3T boards they got from a contractor ten
> years ago, which they will use for new orders and spares until they are
> gone, and then those models will be no more.
>
> Paul Farrar

Hank Hogan --

--
Thomas ?Hank? Hogan