Re: [OM] Fireworks

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireworks
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 12:55:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 11 Apr 1998, Terry and Tracey wrote:

> Tonight I photographed fireworks for basically the first time. I used the
> 2SP with a 28mm f3.5. The body had 400 Sensia in it.
        <big snip>
> So I trusted the auto mode, as it is smarter than me. (But usually, I use
> only manual body).
> The question I ask is "Has anyone else had experience at a similar event?".
> Did I do right?

   I don't know about "right", Foxy, but what has worked well for me has
been (using K64) f/11 & f/16 (on a tripod) at varying speeds, depending on
whether I wanted many streaks, and when a background was desired, I would
leave the shutter open long enough to properly expose the background.
Sometimes I have also used flash as well, to get the crowd sharp. With
apologies to all here, there's a little "Hail Mary" factor to shooting
fireworks.
The light from the fireworks is really bright, and getting good saturation
makes all the difference.

                                     *= Doris Fang =*