Re: [OM] Fireworks

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireworks
From: "John Petrush" <jpetrush@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 10:03:33 -0400
Terry and Tracey <foxcroft@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Tonight I photographed fireworks for basically the first time. I used the
>2SP with a 28mm f3.5. The body had 400 Sensia in it.
>
>Basically, I used the camera on auto, and dialled in underexposure between
0
>to 1 2/3 stops (depending upon the blackness). I dialed in in overexposure
>when there was heaps of light and smoke. I had to use the wide angle, as
>here we are only 30 to 50 meters from the fireworks. You have to dodge the
>little bits coming down.
>
>So I trusted the auto mode, as it is smarter than me. (But usually, I use
>only manual body).
>
>The question I ask is "Has anyone else had experience at a similar event?".
>Did I do right?
>
>Foxy

Lens choice is similar, but my method is a little different.  First, I use
ISO 100 film.  Fireworks are quite bright.  Then, I set the camera, with
cable release, on a tripod and point it in the general direction where I
expect them to go off.  The camera is set on Bulb.  Then, as the firework is
launched, I open the shutter just before I think its going to go off, hold
it open, and close it at the peak of the firework's spread.  Yet another
example of "timing is everything".  To make multiple exposures, I use a
black card to hold in front of the lens.  Holding the cable release with one
hand, I place the card in front of the lens, angled toward the ground.  As
the next one is launched, remove the card, get the "boom" then either
replace the card or close the shutter.  I've never been successful with more
than three exposures on one frame.

I've had very good results using this method with either slide or negative
films.  Hope this helps.

John P