Re: [OM] OM darkroom (was OM Elegance)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM darkroom (was OM Elegance)
From: "David Brown" <keswick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 15:33:30 +0100
Having made do with various temporary darkrooms over the past 15 years I
have finally converted my garage into a permanent darkroom and life is so
much easier! I use a Jobo CPP2 processor for B&W and slide films (use a lab
for C41) and have just upgraded to a Durst M70 enlarger for B&W and
Ilfochrome. I am going to try RA4 in the next few weeks, largely due to
pressure from friends who would like enlargements of their "favourite
photographs", largely shot on negative.

As part of my job is running the IT at a large school I have access to
digital cameras and scanners but you can't beat the real thing (I am a
chemist by training!). I am just about to order a film scanner at work so
should be able to send some of my shots on soon.

Olympus content - everything I develop, enlarge and print is shot on Oly
gear!

David

----------
> From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [OM] OM darkroom (was OM Elegance)
> Date: 03 April 1998 12:29
>
> At 7:37 pm -0500 2/4/98, John Petrush wrote:
>
> >Chung, Stephen (D&B Telecom) <ChungS@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >>I have also enrolled myself on a darkroom
> >>course, because even at the local camera club there seems to be more
> >>members who are more interested in digital darkroom than their own
> >>traditional darkroom.
> >
> >I have learned each of us has a specialty or two - marco photo,
wildlife,
> >scenics, etc.  I've been curious how many OM photographers also pursue
the
> >"other side of photography" - the darkroom.  I'd like to hear from the
list
> >of those who process their own film and/or make prints.
> >
> >I personally have a fairly well outfitted darkroom crammed into a tiny,
but
> >dedicated, space.  Only 5 x 8 feet in size, I can process any film up to
8 x
> >10 inches and prints up to 16 x 20.  The enlarger will accomodate film
up to
> >6 x 6 cm; a color analyzer, programmable digital timer and Jobo manual
> >processor round out the basic equipment.   I've chosen to standardize on
> >color negative printing simply because it is most repeatable for me,
hence
> >less waste.  At $5-6 a pop, making a mistake with Ilfochromes can get
> >expensive in a hurry.
> >
> >John P
>

> John,
>
> I have a bit more space, however stay with B/W film at home up to 6x6.
Have
> access to a darkroom with enlargers up to 5x4.  Currently working mainly
> with 6x7 negs.  Largest prints I have done myself are 20" x16" -
regularly
> print 12" x91/2".
>
> Do some selenium and sepia toning etc.  Working in the darkroom is a
> learning experience which can last your whole life.  I have a strategy
> which is designed to keep me thinking when taking photos - print full
> frame.  Still all rules are there to be broken, but it does help me.
Tend