Re: [OM] OM darkroom (was OM Elegance)

Subject: Re: [OM] OM darkroom (was OM Elegance)
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 12:29:25 +0100
At 7:37 pm -0500 2/4/98, John Petrush wrote:

>Chung, Stephen (D&B Telecom) <ChungS@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>I have also enrolled myself on a darkroom
>>course, because even at the local camera club there seems to be more
>>members who are more interested in digital darkroom than their own
>>traditional darkroom.
>
>I have learned each of us has a specialty or two - marco photo, wildlife,
>scenics, etc.  I've been curious how many OM photographers also pursue the
>"other side of photography" - the darkroom.  I'd like to hear from the list
>of those who process their own film and/or make prints.
>
>I personally have a fairly well outfitted darkroom crammed into a tiny, but
>dedicated, space.  Only 5 x 8 feet in size, I can process any film up to 8 x
>10 inches and prints up to 16 x 20.  The enlarger will accomodate film up to
>6 x 6 cm; a color analyzer, programmable digital timer and Jobo manual
>processor round out the basic equipment.   I've chosen to standardize on
>color negative printing simply because it is most repeatable for me, hence
>less waste.  At $5-6 a pop, making a mistake with Ilfochromes can get
>expensive in a hurry.
>
>John P

John,

I have a bit more space, however stay with B/W film at home up to 6x6. Have
access to a darkroom with enlargers up to 5x4.  Currently working mainly
with 6x7 negs.  Largest prints I have done myself are 20" x16" - regularly
print 12" x91/2".

Do some selenium and sepia toning etc.  Working in the darkroom is a
learning experience which can last your whole life.  I have a strategy
which is designed to keep me thinking when taking photos - print full
frame.  Still all rules are there to be broken, but it does help me.  Tend
to take only a standard lens and possibly portrait around with me now,
lighter and the walking keeps you fit ;-)

OM content - the lens cap from my OM4 50mm is now attached to the 6x7
camera :-)
Don't worry, have replaced the 50mm lenscap with a pristine OM version.

One of the shots taken with an OM2N 85mm and Delta 400 has been the most
challenging over the last four years - still try to print it every so
often.  Have numerous versions with different interpretations.  Usually end
up having to drink a lot after each attempt so have left that neg alone for
about a year now.  Feel the urge to have another go though........

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com