Re: [OM] Paul Van T.

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul Van T.
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 22:54:55 -0800
>In your message dated: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 23:14:29 EST you write:
>>R. Lee Hawkins <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>One of the greatest powers of the internet is the capability to share
>>information quickly and freely.  The truly operative word there is "freely".
>>Without that freedom, this list might not even exist.
>
>True...
>

>>PvT's usage of " ! " marks may not be proper application of punctuation in
>>the English language, but he is free to do so - it is *his* style.  His
>
>No, it doesn't, and is blatantly commercial, which, since this list is
>hosted by an educational institution, is not a good idea.  If the list
>becomes predominantly commercial in nature (meaning lots of vendors
>follow Paul's lead and flood the list with  "Hey I've got that
>postings"), then Shawn might well decide that the *educational* purpose
>of the list is gone, and drop it.

-snip

I have to admit I enjoyed the PVT hiatus, too. However, as irritating as it
is to have a dealer "work the list", I can understand it. What is difficult
to understand is why members of the list reply to the dealer on the list
instead of private EMail. It might remotely possible to have an interest in
an item offered by the dealer, but I certainly don't care whether Joe Blow
is enquiring whether the dealer has a flash cord or lens cap.

Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California
mailto:wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx