Re: [OM] Paul Van T.

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul Van T.
From: "R. Lee Hawkins" <lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 1998 15:24:50 -0500
Cc: lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In your message dated: Wed, 01 Apr 1998 23:33:47 CST you write:
>Gee R.L. you need to get a life! Paul.

My apologies to the list for my previous crass remark.  Bascially, what
it boils down to, Paul, is that you gave your word a while back not to
get "commercial" again on the list.  And you were doing a good job, and
I was just on the verge of requesting that Larry put you back on his
website of used dealers, because I felt you had "served your pittance".
And I was planning to buy a couple of wide angles from you, if I didn't
find a better deal on them at the local camera show (which from past
experience leads me to believe I wouldn't have).  But you decided to
break your promise to the list, and that is what prompted my irate
message on the subject.  And messages like the one above (I know, I
know, and my crass reply) don't do any of us any good.  All in all, I
think if you had handled things like John H., and emailed people
privately, you would have built up a good reputation here, and it would
have increased your business and we all would have thought of you as a
"friend of the list".  But I'm not the only one who gets annoyed by your
commercial posts, and that probably means we won't buy anything from you
in the future.  I know this won't impact your business much, but it's
the only way I have of objecting to your conduct here.  And I probably
wouldn't be so put off at your conduct if you hadn't promised not to get
commercial again on the list, and then broken that promise.

Let's stop discussion on this now, and move on.  I and anyone else who
this bothers can just ignore Paul's posts.  Those of you who find them
informative, please continue to read them.

Cheers,
--Lee