Re: [OM] Paul Van T.

Subject: Re: [OM] Paul Van T.
From: Clive Warren <Clive.Warren@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 09:49:39 +0100
>On Wed, 01 Apr 1998 23:49:10 -0500, "R. Lee Hawkins"
><lhawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>snips....to conclusion:
>>
>>I don't wish to ban or muffle Paul,
>>just to have him restrict his posts to non-commercial activities.
>>Educational activities about Oly are the stated purpose of this list,
>>and should remain so, IMHO.  If the consensus wants to change that,
>>fine, but I'm not convinced it does.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>--Lee
>>
>I agree with you, Lee. I have made clear about a year (or so) ago that
>I would like to keep the list free from all FS ads, but the consensus
>then was that private FS ads should be possible, to the benefit of all
>list members. So let it be that way. Personally I am still afraid that
>banning all FS ads would have been better.
>
>If anyone wants to reply to a person looking for an item to purchase,
>let him make this reply privately. I must say that it would be of
>great help if the e-mail headers of this list could be changed in a
>way, that makes replies go automatically to the original poster
>instead of the whole list. I have repeatedly made this mistake,
>inadvertantly, to send a reply to the whole list when meant to go to
>the original sender only. And I have seen many others doing the same.
>I think Paul (read: his unvoluntary audience) could benefit from this
>as well....
>
>My opinion: let us keep this list completely non-commercial.
>
>Frank van Lindert
>Utrecht - NL

There is always the delete key or filtering if you have a problem with any
posting to the list.

Private ads on the list should be allowed and encouraged in my opinion.
Hopefully those with items to sell will let them go a little cheaper to
others on the list.

Agree completely that replies to FS or wanted ads should be private - ie
off the list.

Changing the e-mail headers is not a good idea in my opinion.  I have
recently unsubscribed from a list because of a similar change.  If you
subscribe to a list and have something to say, then the default should be
"post to the list".  Private mail should be less frequent to those who post
messages to the list.

Paul was just getting up to speed with the technology and list etiquette.
Many of us have made similar mistakes.  If someone consistently upsets the
majority of list members then the final sanction is to remove them from the
list.  Paul is not in this category.

Keep the EMail headers as thay are please.

All the best,

              Clive   http://clive.bel-epa.com