Re: [OM] OM-Nature

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-Nature
From: PCA Cala <PCACala@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 11:01:52 EST
Hi Lynn:

<< Second question. I would like suggestions please on OM lenses for nature
and wildlife photography. I'm about to buy a bellows for closeup work of
flowers and would like hints on which lens(es) would work best. >>

I wouldn't recommend the auto bellows for this kind of work - it requires a
double cable release which is no where as near as handy as the Telescoping
Auto Tube.  Since you mentioned flower photography, I'd start with 50 mm macro
- ideally the f/2.0 so it could be an all around lens.  You don't need the
Tube for this as it will go to 1:2 reproduction on its own.  For greater than
1:2, I'd use the 80 mm f/4.0 macro mounted on the Tube.  That gets you
unparalleled sharpness in the difficult 1:2 to 2:1 range, albeit with the need
to have a closeup lens on the 80 mm when in the ~1.2:1 to 2:1 range.

You might be tempted to go with a 50 mm f/3.5 and an Auto Extension Tube.  I'd
avoid it because both it and the f/2.0 on that Tube because they have to be
racked out to their closest focusing distance to get the Close Focus
Aberration Correction System to set correctly.  That forces a jump from 1:2 to
1:1, with nothing in between.

You can add a 135 f/4.5 macro (on the Telescoping Ext. Tube) if you want to
shoot small critters that get spooked, like insects and reptiles.

Admittedly this is an expensive get-up.  Especially when you add flashes to
get control of macro lighting.  But it pays off in professional caliber
results.  The best part is you can start with just the 50 mm and go from
there.  You will find that lots of your work can be handled with that lens.
Or go with the 80 mm and 135 mm combo.

Someone else may suggest that 90 mm is the best way to go, but I've have so
much success with the above units that I've not tried the 90 mm macro.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV