Re: [OM] OM-Nature

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-Nature
From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 15:57:31 GMT
On Fri, 06 Mar 1998 09:01:22 -0600, Speer
<speer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hello everyone.
>First time posting to this list, but boy am I ever happy that I found
>it!
>I've read some of the archives and caught up on some interesting
>discussions. First, briefly about my OM experience and then a couple of
>questions. Been an OM-1 owner since 1975 (that makes me a newbie,
>right?) Right now have three OM-1 bodies, one winder, 24, 50, 100, 135
>Zuiko lenses, a 300 Vivitar (old and not very sharp anymore, I'm afraid)
>and a Vivitar 75-205 f3.5-4.5 macro zoom that I picked up used in
>excellent shape for about $100 (U.S.)

Be welcome, Lynn.

I am a newbie like you then, having started with Olympus in the same
mid-seventies.

You certainly did your home-work!
Maybe it should be mandatory for new readers to work themselves
through the archives - prevents them from putting questions being
answered several times before...

>First, anybody got opinions on the Viv zoom (i.e. sharpness, etc)? I
>like it but haven't yet used it for any critical work, mostly just fun
>pics of my kids.
>
>Second question. I would like suggestions please on OM lenses for nature
>and wildlife photography. I'm about to buy a bellows for closeup work of
>flowers and would like hints on which lens(es) would work best. Also I'd
>like some opinions on really long lenses for bird photos. I've never
>used really long Zuikos (anything 300mm or over) and would like to know
>if they are worth the cost. Any ideas on non-Zuiko long lenses?

One of our list members (hi John G) is better experienced in wildlife
photography than I am, so let him do the answers for the tele (if he
is listening in, that is)

I like close-up and macro-work very much, and I use all macro-lenses
from time to time, the 20 and 38 on the bellows (almost exclusively
indoors) and the 80 or 135 macro heads on the 65-116 extension tube,
which are making a good set in real nature.
They all serve different purposes, butin general they are are equally
good. So are the 50 and 90mm macro lenses which can be used without
extensions...

I realize this information is rather rudimentary. If you want to know
more, let us know your more specific questions..

>Escuse the length of this one, I had a lot of quesitions backed up
>before I found this list!
>
>Lynn

Hope it helps,

Frank.