Re: [OM] OM-Nature

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-Nature
From: Ken Norton <kenorton@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 1998 10:00:45 -0600
Lynn:

First of all, welcome to the list.  Yes, I'd say that being in OM since
1975 would mark you as a newbie.  <g>

>First, anybody got opinions on the Viv zoom (i.e. sharpness, etc)? I
>like it but haven't yet used it for any critical work, mostly just fun
>pics of my kids.

Personally don't know.  Welcome your observations though.

>Second question. I would like suggestions please on OM lenses for nature
>and wildlife photography. I'm about to buy a bellows for closeup work of
>flowers and would like hints on which lens(es) would work best. Also I'd
>like some opinions on really long lenses for bird photos. I've never
>used really long Zuikos (anything 300mm or over) and would like to know
>if they are worth the cost. Any ideas on non-Zuiko long lenses?

I've used the OM bellows a little for outdoor closeup work and found it to
be less than a perfect solution.  I use extension tubes and a screw-on
closeup lens I got for an IS-1.  The bellows is bulky, heavy, and just a
little too long unless you are doing 1:1 or greater with your 100mm lens.
The one big advantage though to the bellows is that focusing is easier as
you can slide the entire camera/lens back and forth instead of just the lens.

I really like the results of using my zuiko 100/2.8 with extension tubes.
The 100mm length gives me enough working space and 50mm of extension gets
me close enough for most purposes.  This spring I will be using my 200/2.8
for closeup work too.

Birding lenses?  For birds in flight, it is hard to beat a 200mm lens.
Anything longer is hard to track with.  For serious long focal length
stuff, well I'll pass this on to the others on the list with the serious iron.

Ken Norton