Re: [OM] OM body wish list

Subject: Re: [OM] OM body wish list
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 17:53:36 -0800
At 03:18 PM 1/1/98 -0500, Doris Fang wrote:

> My idea for another OM body is for one between the OM2000 & the OM-4ti.
>I would like the features that the OMPC had (simple segmented mildly
>intelligent metering),
>plus spot and averaging. Shiftable program, aperture-preferred
> and manual modes.
What do you mean by "shiftable program"?
>  Tomoko, do remind the OM people that we have "sold" scores of OM
>products to many people throughout our travels. Strangers approach and ask
>invariably about an AF RF model, and I steer them towards OM every time.
>Not just out of loyalty, but because I firmly believe they represent the
>best value for the dollar out there.

Who are "we" in your statement, Doris?

I got my New Year's letters in Japanese printed and have to do more
printing of my New Year's cards bearing the photograph on my home page.

I ask everyone to contribute to the wish list.  what would make you buy a
new OM camera rather than a used OM-n?  Think about it.  What is the
maximum would you spend on such a camera?

Are there any accessories you would like them to improve or to decrease
their prices so that you can buy them new?

As somebody said, Olympus is a business and is not a non-profit
organization.  They have to sell their cameras.   What would make you and
your friends to buy brand-new Olympus again?  Do you want an AF camera from
Olympus?  I am sure there are some who are interested in such a camera.

Do speak up.  If you don't, those of us who do end up deciding what to
request to Olympus.

I personally think that Olympus should have one model under $500 and
another one above $500.  Both should be manual focus for the time being.
The specs should not be too ambitious, but I would like to see the top
shutter speed of 1/4000sec for the model with a price over $500.   Flash
sync of 1/125sec would be nice, also.
(I don't use much flash in my work)   I would like to see a slightly-scaled
down version of OM-4Ti below $1000 and closer to $700, perhaps.  That model
would not use titanium in order to bring the cost down, but will have some
modernized features such as a narrower-angle spot.

IMHO, if Olympus can bring such a model or two to the market and becomes
more successful in the SLR market, they can think of totally updating the
OM-4Ti to bring the OM-5Ti which might be in the range of $1500
(US street price).  Perhaps only a few of us on this list will buy such a
camera, but this might attract others who cannot think of spending $2000
for a good metal SLR.    Those who have more patience can wait for the new
OM-5Ti to come to the second-hand market.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx