Re: [OM] OM body wish list

Subject: Re: [OM] OM body wish list
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 14:39:19 -0700
At 08:08 PM 1/1/98 +0000, Frank Wijsmuller wrote:

[snip]

>At least it keeps us from the street (which is a rude translation
>from a Dutch expression). What would be the English/American
>equivalent?

Almost exactly the same -- "At least it keeps us off the streets."  ;-)

******************

For those of you who are interested (that would probably be two of you...),
after I pointed out in a private e-mail to the gent who sold me the "mint"
200mm that it had some flaws, he sent me the following reply:

"Sorry for having mistaken you about the lens: I didn't go through it
with a microscope.  In my naked eye observation, it was immaculate.  Maybe
on the other hand, I was too enthousiastic in my rating!  I apologize for
this.  Perhaps for a purist, it was not 'like-new'.
   As you seem to be an Olympus Zuiko expert, maybe you could be
interested in two other Zuiko lenses I own (and this time, I have
double-checked their condition!) and could part with if a serious offer
is made to me.  One is a similar 200mm f:4 but MC and the other a rare
one: 35-70 f:3.6 MC.  Both have 2 caps, UV and case.  I rate them Mint-
(since a used lens cannot be perfect!).  I could e-mail you multiple JPEG
of them."

Heh.  Got a *bang* out of the "Olympus Expert" bit -- just 'cause I
carefully cleaned and examined the lens surfaces?

Gotta give this boy an "A" for cheek -- he offers me a *better* 200mm F4
(the multicoat, presumably with better glass) and a 35-70.  Unfortunately,
the price he probably wants for the 200 would be so close to the retail
price of a new one from the Olympus Guy (or B&H) that it would no longer be
worth it.  'Sides, my initial apprehension appears to have been largely
unfounded -- can't detect any problems with the lens (other than the
pincushion I mentioned earlier, which I haven't confirmed in photos yet).

My obsession with clean optics goes back to my days with high-wattage
lasers -- I watched a slightly grimy (i.e., almost-imperceptible
fingerprint smear) corner prism self-destruct a few moments after the beam
hit it.  I realize it's not the same thing with camera lenses, but keeping
optics clean isn't *that* hard.  Had a friend over yesterday (New Year's
Eve) who's a Pentax aficianado who couldn't believe how clean my lenses
were.  Geez, after you clean 'em and put the filters on 'em, they're almost
maintenance-free.

Happy New Year, everyone.  The temperature here in Edmonton went from +3
Celsius (about +37 Fahrenheit) to -20 Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit) from about
five in the evening to midnight, and we got our first snow.  Yikes!  It's
winter again!
:-/

Garth

"Q: What's long and hard on a Canadian?