Re: [OM] OM body wish list

Subject: Re: [OM] OM body wish list
From: Tomoko Yamamoto <tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 16:03:29 -0800
At 08:08 PM 1/1/98 +0000, Frank Wijsmuller wrote:
>Tomoko wrote:
>
>> My target date to put together our wish list is the end of next week.
>
>Hope we can discuss it then? Sounds like a good plan. I wonder
>whether we could define various models, combining the brought up
>features in a way that makes sense (to us)? We could suggest to
>Olympus 'manufacture on demand' ;-).
I am still busy finalizing my new year's letter in Japanese! and have yet
started anything on my Austrian friends to whom I have to write in German
(their English is limited).  If  anyone can put together or organize what
have been voiced under this thread and other related threads, I would
appreciate it.  I am beginning to realize it is far more work than I
thought.  I can take care of the Japanese part.  At the minimum, keep this
thread going and summarize and put that to a vote?  There are a lot of you
who are simply lurking and have not participated.   How can we get those
people to express their opinions?

>> I also suggest to everybody on the list to read descriptions of the OM-4Ti
>> in Photo Techniques (Dec. 97) and Pop Photo (Dec. 97).
>
>What do you mean exactly? I can't buy these magazines even if I
>wanted to (which I don't).

O.K.  I  was waiting for this kind of question.  The OM-4Ti section  in the
Photo Techniques article is short and has been posted to the Olympus list
by Gene Mayeda or someone.  The article is titled "The 25 Best Cameras in
the World 1997".

Here it goes:
20. Olympus OM-4Ti
 Each year, knowing that a few photographers don't prefer autofo-
cus, we hope to shine our spotlight for a
moment on at least one classic manual·focus
SLR; last year it was the Nikon F3HP This year
it's the venerable-but still excellent-Olym-
pus OM-4Ti.
  The brainchild of the recently retired engi-
neering genius Y Maitani (a deep bow to
you, Sir!), the OM-4T combines the small
size of earlier OM SLRs with what is still,
to this day, the best metering scheme ever
devised for a 35mm camera. Metering de-
fault is center-weighted aperture priority,
probably the most·used mode-and·metering
combo in SLR-dom. The touch of a second
button, next to the shutter button, activates
both spot metering and exposure lock, mak-
ing it exceptionally easy to handle awkward
metering situations extremely quickly and
easily. What's more, a second touch of the
same button takes a second spot reading and
automatically averages it with the first!
Although 900f most work will be done
with the default setting, and most of the rest
will be done with either one or two touches
of the spot metering button, the camera will
average a large number of separate readings
if need be.
  The metering scheme is one that tyros and
amateurs just don't seem to get-and the exe-
cution of the idea could probably be im-
proved using today's technology instead of
1984's, with a narrower-angle spot and
greater accuracy. Overall, however, to experi-
enced photographers who understand the
principles of exposure metering, the arrange-
ment is so close to ideal that the brilliant basic
concept has never been surpassed.
  Finally, here's a hot tip from our lens
expert: although the OM Zuiko lens line is
inconsistent and their worst lenses me-
diocre, few photographers realize that the
best of the Olympus lenses hold their own
with the very best from Leica, Zeiss, and
others, The Zuiko 50mm f /2 Macro is a
spectacular normal lens that we have the
temerity to rate as high as the Leica 5Omm
f/2 Summicron-M.  And the Zuiko 90mm f/2
Macro gives likes of the Zeiss 100mm f/2.8
Macro a run for its money.  Finally, the 35-80mm
f/2.8 is one of the best normal zooms ever made
in terms of pure optical quality.  Chosen carefully,
an Olympus Zuiko lens set can offer the highest
possible optical quality for what are, comparatively,
very sensible prices.

The end of the quote.

I might add that I did not manually type everything in.  I scanned the text
into my computer and corrected some mistakes.  I can do the same with the
Pop Photo article which is more critical of the 4Ti than the Photo
Techniques article.

Back to Japanese.

Tomoko Yamamoto
Photographer, Composer, Soprano
mailto:tomokoy@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.charm.net/~tomokoy/
-All the photos (except panorama) with OM's-
http://ep.com/ep/csp.html?csp=1130
-Olympus Equipment Classifieds-

#
# For questions email: owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx