Re: [OM] TTARTISAN 100mm f/2.8 Bubble Bokeh

Subject: Re: [OM] TTARTISAN 100mm f/2.8 Bubble Bokeh
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2023 20:49:46 -0800
On 11/11/2023 9:03 AM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 11/9/2023 04:55 PM, Sudsy Moose wrote:

Well, it certainly does
Bubble!<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Olympus_List/Posts/Bubbles>

Arrived today. Making attractive overall images with bubbles may take practice, but
— Bubbles!

The dessign is different. Most lenses align the aperture index line @ max
aperture with the focus arrow. Thus, each is on top when mounted.

For whatever reason, (perhaps æsthetic choice?) this lens lines up the focus arrow
with about f5.6.  Thus, either aperture index OR focus arrow can be on top, but not
both. You can see the same thing in the Phillip Reeve review.

I think I would prefer to have focus arrow on top, but it's the other way, which looks
wrong. Seems the designers failed to mount their prototype on an old camera from the M42
era. This one puts the focus arrow about 45° off, just the same as on an old
Praktiflex. In this case, at least, the problem is not with the helicoid adapter, but
with the lens, itself.

Doesn't bother me much, though. I don't pay attention to focal distance unless
testing CF. And the lens markings don't mean anything when using the helicoid
adapter for any extension anyway. Aperture index is fine. With this kind of lens,
it's mostly wide open and clear click stops make "click counting work fine.

Bubbling Over Moose
You can see with yours that the more point like the source, the more defined
the bubble.

And the greater the distance from focal plane to background, the better
defined, and bigger, the bubbles.

I notice DSC0687, the top bubble has a black speck, and wondering if it is from
the lens and not sensor dust?

Sensor dust. Visible due to the very close focus setting. Since cleaned.

------

I only spent a short time with mine for the first 5 images. With more interest
in suds, I added 5 more to the album:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/wxARKiMnjoowp63E7

6,7,8 are bubbles with highlights from plant behind.

These highlight that I prefer fewer, larger bubbles to many small ones.

9 shows some glow effect

Not bad.

and 10 is my special friend, Sookie at F5.6. She is always bringing me in
lizards, mice, ... to show me. And always alive so she can play with them.

I like bubbles but also like how background in general is rendered, preferring
the more painterly.

Agreed. 3 shows tiny bubbles starting to morph into something like bush strokes, Seurat-ish. 5 takes it further, to attractive effect. You haven't EXIFed the apertures. All wide open? Not? I notice, looking thorough the VF, it appears that making the aperture smaller makes the bubbles smaller. Something to play with.

My samples were, of course, aimed strictly at making obvious bubbles, so wide
open.

Blowing Bubbles Moose