Re: [OM] OM-2S Program vs OM-2 spot/program

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2S Program vs OM-2 spot/program
From: John Hermanson via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2023 10:54:48 -0400
Cc: John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxx>
AFAIK, no OM-4 left the factory new with low drain boards.  Yes, Oly installed
a lot of low drain boards, and every one was a loss leader for them.  When the
4T came out (and since I was a subcontractor at the time) they did a no cost
swap of my original 4s for brand new 4Ts.

Sent using https://www.zoho.com/mail/

---- On Mon, 13 Mar 2023 19:08:57 -0400 Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote ---

On 3/13/2023 2:14 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
> At 3/13/2023 11:29 AM, Moose wrote:
>
>> For me, it would be OM-2(n) or OM-4(T(i))
>> The OM-1 requires a 1.35v battery, which haven't been made for decades, or a
>> special adapter for a 1.5v battery, which is good, but not perfect. Just too
>> much hassle, when an OM-2(n) may be used fully manual, if desired.
>>
>> My favorite is the OM-4 body. Many plain OM-4 bodies have the later circuit
>> installed. For practical use, those, a "T" or a 'Ti" are all the same.
>> Better auto exposure, both spot and ESP, than an OM-2.
>>
>> If the user gets interested in TTL flash, the 2n is better. If they start
>> using a tripod, the bodies before the 4 series (and OM2000) have no way to
>> control vibrations from the aperture stop-down mechanism. Self timer on the
>> 4 series pre-fires mirror and aperture as soon as the shutter release is
>> pressed. The extra wait is a pain, the results, especially with med-tele and
>> longer lenses and light and/or metal tripods, much better.
>>
>> My latest loaner for a student was an E-M5 II. 😁
>>
>> Memory Lane Moose
> Unfortunately my OM-4 (sn 1,058524) draws the dreaded 400-600uA, while in
> M60/B it draws around 20uA. My OM-4T draws about 5uA.

Serial number means little. They may, or may not, have started putting new
circuits in late ones, but I've never seen
numbers. It seems Oly replaced circuits in a LOT of OM-4 bodies, because of
exactly this drain problem. It was easy to
test, and back when, sellers often noted new circuits.

I had three plain OM-4 bodies, all with the new circuit. One went to Chuck, one
has a slipped second curtain and one,
last I checked, was fine. I also have a 4Ti in almost new condition and in
brown leather case. Kinda silly, as I doubt
Ill ever actually shoot film with them.

Low Drain Moose