Re: [OM] CSI level image processor

Subject: Re: [OM] CSI level image processor
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayne.harridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2023 23:14:22 +1100
Thanks for the pointer to CodeFormer CH, over the last few days I have been
having a play with it via the web interface

https://huggingface.co/spaces/sczhou/CodeFormer

Reading some info about the product I noticed that it can be used to enhance
images created by AI image generators, e.g. DALL-E 2 which I have also been
playing with for the last month or so.

Here are the results of my playing:

http://www.structuregraphs.com/CodeFormer%20Enhanced%20Images/index.html

Images 1, 2, 3 & 4 were all generated by DALL-E 2 (produces 1024 x 1024 pixel
images) using this same prompt:

" Color Photographic Portrait in Australian Desert 30 year old woman with blue
eyes, long black hair, red lipstick Staring at camera in Late Afternoon
Portrait lens Eye Level view"

4 Variations from the same prompt, all 4 have problems with the facial
rendition.  CodeFormer was applied to each image with upscaling of 4 and
different values for "fidelity",  Codeformer_Fidelity (0 for better quality, 1
for better identity).  Higher values for fidelity seem to introduce some
strange artifacts.

Image - 5 is an old film portrait (600 x 400 pixels) I pulled of my web site
and CodeFormer seemed to do a good job on this one producing 3080 x 2048
images.  Interesting how it removed some of the hair across the girl's eye!

The web interface to CodeFormer looks ok but has some strange quirks:

1. Sometimes seems to get "stuck", typically it takes about 15-60sec to process
an image, but often has run for 15min without producing anything.

2. The download link sometimes downloads somebody else's creation!  I found
that if you right click on the generated image itself and click on "save image
as" you get the correct output image.  It obviously has problems handling
multiple threads on the web site so for serious work I guess it's best to use
CH's approach.

Have fun!

...Wayne