Re: [OM] Painterly vintage Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Painterly vintage Lenses
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 01:31:15 -0700
On 6/5/2022 9:46 PM, Wayne Shumaker wrote:
At 6/5/2022 04:00 PM, Mike wrote:
One other thing.  Is the charm using the vintage lens for a vintage look or is
it the results that matter?  For example, the Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Trioplan
100mm f/2.8 from the 50's or 60's now approaches 50-75% of the new version.
https://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.com/en/lenses/trioplan-100-f2.8-ii

They are not the same as the new guy has modern coatings and more contrast with
similar bokeh.

This is what my projection lens experiment is intended to compete with.

The swirl bokeh in the Helios 44-2 58mm F2 Russion lens is cheap but often oil
on the blades and one of the 8 variants is best.  Getting that and CLA'd is
still cheaper
than the Petzval 55mm f/1.7 Mark II Bokeh Control Art Lens from Lomography but
the latter can be used at other apertures than wide open and still have the
characteristic bokeh and the swirl specifically controlled.  Also not sure want
a Russian lens at the moment.

Vintage all the way or similar look with new lens?  Mike

I meant to reply more promptly . . .

An alternative for FF is the LensBaby Twist 60. <https://lensbaby.com/collections/swirl-effect/products/twist-60>  Nice and twisty, with aperture control. No insert bokeh thingies, although other of their lenses do that. Cheaper than the Lomo - way cheaper for those of us with Optic Swap system lens holders.

For 4/3 sensors, I found that a 50/1.4, no name CCTV lens does a great job of swirl, really cheap. <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Olympus_List/Posts&image=_8130515.jpg>

And
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Olympus_List/Posts&image=_8140517oofm.jpg>

I have watched a few Simon's utak videos and he speculates that part of the
vintage look comes from the coatings to help get a more dreamy look over modern
coatings. Implying it is more than just the optical formula. I don't have
enough experience to know myself.

I don't know, either. I imagine it depends a lot on light sources in or near
the frame.

Twisty Moose