Re: [OM] Focus Bracketing [was "Re: Deadly Beauty!"]

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus Bracketing [was "Re: Deadly Beauty!"]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2022 22:01:43 -0700
On 6/16/2022 6:45 PM, DZDub wrote:
On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 1:52 PM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

. . .
Yes, I could be confused I suppose.  As I read the manual and work the
menus, it seems like stacking and bracketing are the same thing.  Turn on
bracketing and select focus stacking.  The mkiii is the same as the OM-1
for frames (15 max).  The capture consists of an ORF+jpg for each frame of
the quantity selected and a composite jpg of the stack at the end of the
capture string.  Quite brilliant, and I guess you could cull the ORFs you
want and stack them in software.  But no need to, for me at least, at this
time.

Anyway, I must be missing something.

No, I imagine it's I who am in error. I've not read the recent manuals on the subject, nor tried it on the E-M1 II or OM-1.There was a roughly two year gap where I wasn't using any OMD body when I lost track.

I think I'm still not much interested.

First, it turns out I have only two lenses that qualify for Stacking, vs. Bracketing, 60/2.8 macro and 100-400, but not the 12-200.

On my GX9s, I had custom settings with 21 slices and 31 slices. With the OM-1, the speed is so great that number of slices doesn't matter. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with 15 frames.

I wonder if it works the same in another way or not. On the E-M5 II, the distance between focal planes depended on an interaction between aperture and focus differential. Take shots at FD of 1 and apertures of f4 and f8, and the depth difference between shot one and last shot is greater at f8. This wasn't documented anywhere I could find, but is empirically true.

It's as though a DoF table is built-in, and the camera decides how much sharpness is sufficient. If that's the case, a modest aperture might make 15 slices work for many subjects, if I'm not too pixel peeping fussy.

Modestly Stacked Moose