Re: [OM] Deadly Beauty!

Subject: Re: [OM] Deadly Beauty!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 01:34:46 -0700
On 6/14/2022 7:06 PM, DZDub wrote:
On Tue, Jun 14, 2022 at 3:32 PM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is the ant trapped? Or?
Slow Munch Moose

I'd say he's lunch.

That was my assumption. Then I thought about the little fish that hang out in poisonous sea anemones, fish that clean sharks' teeth, and so on. Just don't know.

Stunner photo.

Thank You!

   On focus bracketing, I have the feeling that the average Joe thinks he could
get that shot with his phone
(sigh).

Well, in a way, he can. Lots of DoF and lots of computational processing. It's much better than either an Instamatic shot or just trying to describe what he saw. I do have an iPhone 13 Pro. Using the Halide app to get an unprocessed Raw file and doing my own processing, it can be surprisingly good, but not like this shot. 😁

But, of course, FF would be better, if it had an 800 mm lens and focus bracketing.
😉

My EM-1 is still new to me and I only have one lens capable of auto FB (mZ
12-40).  I see this was shot at 400mm.  Is the lens something like the mZ
150-400?

Nah, I would need a Sherpa to carry that one for me. It happens to be the M.Z 100-400, although the result would be the same with the PLeica 100-400.

The reason for the long FL was simply physical. The collection of carnivorous plants is in a swampy area, protected by a fence, so a long lens is the only way to get close. I have done a LOT of 400 mm stacks. The results can be stunning. <https://photos.app.goo.gl/RxJXDt8PydqiBJfh8>

And <https://photos.app.goo.gl/WSJvU2pyufsBMggt8>

And many many more. . .

How many shots required for the stack?

My default, set on C2, is a stack of 31, interval=1. That is often more than I need. In this case, you can see the DoF going soft on the back petal/sepal, so full depth would have required more. Works well for me here, unreal DoF, with a fade to soft at the back to make it look more natural.

This shot, same lens and camera, a few minutes apart, required 11 slices.
<https://photos.app.goo.gl/8rTksPeYDbRa4eup9>

I focus on what I think is the closest point, then lean back just a little to shoot. I started this long ago, when I was getting too many OoF closest points. Then I flip through them all, finding the start and end frames i want, and export them to Helicon Focus. After stacking and processing, I dump the unused frames.

The big thing the OM-1 brings to this particular party is speed. The stack is
taken much quicker. than the E-M1 II or GX9.

Focused Moose