[OM] Focus Bracketing [was "Re: Deadly Beauty!"]

Subject: [OM] Focus Bracketing [was "Re: Deadly Beauty!"]
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 22:19:47 -0500
On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 3:34 AM Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Me saith>
> > My EM-1 is still new to me and I only have one lens capable of auto FB
> (mZ
> > 12-40).  I see this was shot at 400mm.  Is the lens something like the mZ
> > 150-400?
>
> Nah, I would need a Sherpa to carry that one for me. It happens to be the
> M.Z 100-400, although the result would be the
> same with the PLeica 100-400.,

Have been considering both mZ lenses.  Some of my first EM-1 shots were
with the older DZ 50-200 + MMF-1 and I am so pleased with this combination,
even with the 1.4x TC added, that I consider that focal length covered for
my purposes.  But of course no FB.  The reach of the 100-400 would not be
redundant to me.  Most of my favorite "isolation" photos have been made
with the 50-200, with the nice blur, etc.

> The reason for the long FL was simply physical. The collection of
> carnivorous plants is in a swampy area, protected by a
> fence, so a long lens is the only way to get close. I have done a LOT of
> 400 mm stacks. The results can be stunning.
> <https://photos.app.goo.gl/RxJXDt8PydqiBJfh8>

Agree with your self-evaluation!

> How many shots required for the stack?
>
> My default, set on C2, is a stack of 31, interval=1. That is often more
> than I need. In this case, you can see the DoF
> going soft on the back petal/sepal, so full depth would have required
> more. Works well for me here, unreal DoF, with a
> fade to soft at the back to make it look more natural.
>
> This shot, same lens and camera, a few minutes apart, required 11 slices. <
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/8rTksPeYDbRa4eup9>
>
> I focus on what I think is the closest point, then lean back just a little
> to shoot. I started this long ago, when I was
> getting too many OoF closest points. Then I flip through them all, finding
> the start and end frames i want, and export
> them to Helicon Focus. After stacking and processing, I dump the unused
> frames.

This is very helpful and much appreciated, Moose.   It will help me refine
my processes much more quickly.

I assume you compare the camera result with what you get via HF?  If so, is
the difference quite significant?

The big thing the OM-1 brings to this particular party is speed. The stack
> is taken much quicker. than the E-M1 II or GX9.

How much do you use your macro lens in situations where you know you will
want to use focus bracketing?  I'm perfectly happy with the DZ 50/2 + MMF-1
as a 50 macro.  I haven't yet experimented on really tiny stuff with the
EM-1 yet.  The primary advantage I would see is being able to photograph
without a tripod, and more importantly being able to shoot the exact
composition I've discovered through the viewfinder without having to set up
the tripod and then try again to find the composition I wanted.  Resulting
tripod photo usually ends up fine but it's never quite the same as what I
found in the moment.

Joel W.