[OM] Astro musings

Subject: [OM] Astro musings
From: Mike Gordon via olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 22:23:26 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: usher99@xxxxxxx
Not sure how many are interested in astro observations using different cams but
here goes.  So far have downloaded files from the Oly and A7rIII and did a
quick look at files.

>From work flow vantage point starry sky AF is just the cat's meow on the
>E-M1MkIII.   I had more trouble with my Sonnie as I did not listen to Moose an
>tape the MF switch on the lens to MF.
I focused on Jupiter and reframed frequently.    The Live view boost on the
Sonnie was OK when practicing at home with a bunch of ambient light from light
pollution but the back LCD was very very dark and really had to crank up the
ISO and take test shots.   The Oly EVF or LCD was terrible at first at home but
there are two settings on the gain--use "ON2" and can use it to frame just
fine---advantage Oly for focus and  framing.

Checked out "hand held high res mode."  I had Marnie try it a few times but it
takes forever.   As long as the sky is over 50% or so it aligns the stars just
fine!!!  Colors are more accurate too.
Now as we didn't reframe and shoot a high res shot for the foreground might
have to try AI gigapixel to match the resolution as the foreground of course is
thus blurred in the high res shot.
Curiously the tripod high res mode doesn't really do the job for this
application and limited to ISO 1600.  Still very cool.

Hand held high res:

https://tinyurl.com/4m78hshd

https://youtu.be/RxwYZ5HaYMM

Advantage Oly.

Lens choices:

Well try to find ultrafast super wide zoom or prime that is AF in MFT.  Slim
pickings.  The PL 12/1.4 is fine with a good  copy and I rented the PL
10-25/1.7.  It felt HUGE and bigger than my Siggie 14-24 for Sonnie though not
as wide.  Well it is really 100gm lighter but feels larger as is 88mm in
diameter.  We had the Oly 7-14/2.8  as well but it is a bit slow given the
noise disadvantage of the sensor and quite a bit of distortion at 7mm---don't
use ACR to convert as will ruin the stars in the corners.
The Siggie  (60%reported on FM to be largely centered) is about as good as a
hand full of primes.  There is a 20/1.8, 14/1.8 24/1.4.
Advantage Sonnie.

https://tinyurl.com/pfzz838s

Some would say this is comparing apples and oranges and mebbe one is even a
vegetable but that is what is available.

I am guessing the  Sonnie has about a 2 stop noise advantage given larger
sensels with bigger photon wells and 4 times the area and advantages of more
down-sampling but stacking or HHHR mode and careful processing may render this
less important.  Results---TBD.

Eyes in the sky, Mike