[OM] NR vs NR

Subject: [OM] NR vs NR
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 16:29:10 -0700
When I write about NR, it's mostly been about Topaz Denoise AI. But I'm careful when generalizing to note that DxO and NeatImage too have their place.

I am endlessly fascinated with the patterns sun through our windows throws on the walls. Working one from a couple of days ago, I was frustrated with the NR. GX9, ISO 3200.

Topaz could whack the noise, but left an overall mottled look in the modest shadow areas. DxO PhotoLab 4 Deep-Prime NR really surprised me. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Process/NR/TOPvsDxO.htm>

Not that detail matters for this shot, but I'm generally curious. Denoise's best was the Clear option. The Low Light Mode, which often is good, was poor with this subject. Clear Medium left some detail, but quite a bit of noise. Clear High whacked more noise, but eliminated detail, and was mottled.

How DxO PL4 managed to pull true surface texture out of the noise, and give good rendering of the small paint imperfections, I don't know, but it's a very impressive performance.

On the recent subject of color and human vision, The light didn't look at all as warm as the camera captured. It seemed, in person, surprisingly white. At the end, I've corrected it to what I think is, if not "True", an accurate representation of the way I experienced it.

Color Me Moose